Friday, February 9, 2007

Friday

Friday. The day as arbitrary as Tuesday, yet loved significantly more. Why do individuals become overwhelmed with a natural high solely because the day happens to be a Friday? This reported scoured the city to find out. (best if read with an English accent)

Sir, do you have any opinion on why Friday is so beloved by so many people?
“Umm..are you blind?”
No sir, I am not, why do you ask?
“Tattered clothes, long beard, dirty…do I look like the kind of person who cares if it is Friday, Monday, Wednesday? …Actually, I hate Wednesdays.”
So what are you trying to say?
“The only people who care about Fridays are those people in suits, workin’ for the 'Man' in the concrete jungle.”
And do you know where this concrete jungle might be? Sir?

Undaunted, I ventured onward to seek out this concrete jungle. I found myself surrounded by buildings reaching to the sky, seemingly forever. Framed by glass and concrete…concrete, yes, this must be the jungle in which the kind, disheveled man was referring. I see natives in their traditional gowns of suits and ties scurrying about in all directions. The excited buzz of Friday stimulates the air all around. I approach one of the savages with caution.

Excuse me, sir, can you understand me, can you understand what I am saying?
“Ehh, umm, can I help you?”
Yes, oh, what a find! I am able to communicate with one of the aboriginals using a basic form of the English language, maybe he will be able to translate for me as we venture through this concrete world of buildings and black paved roads.
“What?”
Yes, that is the question. What? What is it about this day, Friday, that your civilization, your people I should say, that you find spiritual, if you will.
“Well, it is the end of the work week.”
Ah yes, the long time practice of labor, man and dirt, crops and harvests, iron and smelting, for months on end. This Friday must be this civilizations symbolic day of rest, the proverbial whistle ending a long shift in the factory. Now what rituals and rites do you perform on this day of rest?
“Um, yeah, well, happy hour starts usually around 4…”
Happy hour? Is this some kind of cult practice where one consumes libations and sacrificed livestock?
“Well, yeah, kind of, if you want to put it that way.”
Fascinating how similar cultural practices can be seen throughout the world in societies that seemingly have not contact with each other, like the evolution of mathematics, engineering, and architecture around the world at rough the same times prior to sea exploration.
Please, sir, continue.
“Then maybe we go out to a club to do some dancing…”
So after sacrificing to the Gods, you ritualistically gyrate your bodies in a spiritual and rhythmic trance, a symbolic cleansing of the fowl work odor…….then what?
“Then we go to bed and look forward to weekend activities, I guess.”
Weekend?
“Yeah, you know, Saturday and Sunday.”
So you rest for two days and start the process all over again?
“Yes.”
This is truly fascinating; I must investigate this weekend phenomenon in my next piece. Thank you gentle creature, now here’s some chocolate and be on your way.

Join me next time as we venture further into the heart of the concrete jungle and watch how these wild, social laborers spend their days of rest in acts of sport and leisure.

No comments: