Thursday, February 1, 2007

MY LIST: February

February’s Artist: David Gray

Actually, most of you probably know David Gray, listen to his music even. Some of you may already give him the appreciation he deserves. I figured I would be begin with an artist that may not be such a stretch for some of you, and for those of you who are uninitiated into the beautiful, melancholy world of David Gray, you will be instantly converted. Another reason why I chose David Gray…I just don’t think he is appreciated enough on this side of the pond. In my opinion, he should be at the level of Coldplay if not past. Anyway, on to the music.

Most of you may know David by his U.S. breakout album “White Ladder” – a distinctly dark and brooding album with hits such as “Say Hello, Wave Goodbye” and “Babylon”. I discovered Mr. Gray an album later: “A New Day at Midnight” and glad that I did. Not that I don’t like White Ladder, but I think discovering David Gray has matured in his musical writing with each subsequent album. His most resent album, “Life in Slow Motion” is an example of perfection. Every song could be deemed a single, although the title track will move you like the waves of the ocean. Once initiated into the blissful sounds of David Gray, one can move onward to his older albums, “Sell, Sell, Sell” and “Flesh”. These albums are a bit more unpolished and un-produced, rustic in some ways, but are filled with David Gray’s hypnotic rhythms, husky voice, and deep, spiritual lyrics. And don’t forget to check out his “Lost Songs” album that contains songs worthy of appreciation.

The song that will change your life: “Slow Motion”
Other Songs that you must listen to: “The Other Side”, “This Years Love”, “Dead in the Water”, “Ain’t No Love”, “Freedom”, “Alibi”
Hidden Tracks (those songs that could have been overlooked but shouldn’t be): “As I’m Leaving”, “Forever is Tomorrow is Today”, “Flame Turns Blue”, “Nos da Cariad”, “Magdalena”, “Hospital Food”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow thanks Rick I knew someone other than myself would appreciate the David Gray but you forgot to mention the album "Centry Ends", one of my Fav's is Shine and Birds without wings.I feel that each of his ablums are different enough from the prior one that you dont get bored with the music or feel like you bought the same album. Thanks again-Spring